Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / Religious Life / Church of Agios Georgios
Print this page
Church of Agios Georgios

Located in the centre of the village is the main church dedicated to Agios Georgios. It is an 1837 building and its inauguration ceremony was held in 1922.

The church is 15 metres long and 6 metres wide. Internally it is adorned by a wooden carven iconostasis which was created by Christofis Leptourgos – Leontis from Eptagonia.

The following story has been salvaged regarding the construction of the church: The plot where the church is built used to belong to a family from Eptagonia and a fellow villager of ours asked to buy it. However, every time the buyer left from Akapnou to go to Eptagonia and complete the purchase of the plot he got sick and had to return to Akapnou. Finally, the purchasing was cancelled and it was decided by the residents of the village that a church dedicated to Agios Georgios was going to be built on the plot.

Source:  Ioannis Demetriou

 

 
 
 June 2019

MTWTFSS
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
 
 
 
CONTACT US
 

CONNUNITY COUNCIL OF AKAPNOU
4501, Akapnou, Lemesos
Τel.: 99612175
Fax: 25622086

 
 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc